What is a University of Applied Sciences?


Universities of Applied Sciences differ from other universities by preparing students for their future professional careers through application-oriented instruction. Although research is becoming increasingly important to them, their focus is still on teaching. Their objective is to enable graduates to apply theoretical and method-based knowledge to concrete practical
problems. Students systematically learn how to transfer these skills as they study and after graduation are able to integrate quickly into the business environment.

Important elements and major strengths of Universities of Applied Sciences are:

  • Lectures in small groups (generally no more than forty students per lecture)
  • Lecturers with professional experience in industry and commerce (a minimum of five years)
  • Labs, tutorials, simulations, role-playing, projects and field trips
  • Integrated practical semesters in commerce and industry
  • Study projects, practical projects and thesis
  • Applied research in cooperation with companies and application-oriented research institutes
  • A stronger international outlook and program structure compared to traditional German universities


Do I have to speak German to study in Germany?

Language proficiency requirements differ from program to program, but unless otherwise stated in the program description, basic knowledge of German is recommended, but not mandatory for programs that are taught in English.

If you choose to participate in a program that is taught in German, though, you will most likely have to demonstrate a certain level of German language skills. Most universities accept, for example, either the test of “German as a foreign language for foreign applicants” or any other certificate acknowledged by the KMK (Committee of Ministers and Education). Please contact the UAS7 office in New York or the International Office of the University of Applied Sciences you want to attend and ask them for their specific requirements.

Where do I get application forms for your programs?

For the Study & Internship Program, you can find the application forms here. For the Internship Program here and for the Study Program here.

What are the application requirements for the different programs?

Application requirements for the Summer School and Undergraduate Programs are different for all offered courses, so please refer to the corresponding program brochures that you can find here (Summer School) and here (Undergraduate Programs).

To participate in the MA, MBA or Postgraduate programs, you need

  • A first degree in a field of studies relevant to the Master’s program to be pursued
  • A final grade above average
  • One or two years of professional experience for selected programs
  • A basic knowledge of German is recommended, but not mandatory


How does the application process work?

Application processes and deadlines differ from program to program, since the academic calendar is different for each school and not all programs are offered year round. For information on specific programs, please contact the UAS7 office in New York or the International Office of the school you’re planning to attend. They will be able to give you concrete information on how the application process for a specific program and course works.

What types of degree programs do the UAS7 universities offer?

The UAS7 universities offer courses resulting in Bachelor and various Master degrees (M.A., M.Sc., M.Eng., MBA), as well as the German “Diplom”, which will, however, be completely replaced by the Bachelor in the next years in accordance with the Bologna Process. The Bologna Process aims to create common standards and degrees in Europe, leading to a concerted European Higher Education Area, in which students can choose from a wide and transparent range of high quality courses and benefit from harmonized admission and recognition procedures. The Bologna Declaration of June 1999 has put in motion a series of reforms needed to make European higher education more compatible and comparable, more competitive and more attractive for Europeans and for students and scholars from other continents.

Do I need a visa to study in Germany?

Applicants from the United States and Canada don’t need a visa to enter Germany. However, all students staying in Germany longer than three months need to obtain a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) from their local Immigration Office after their arrival.

The rules for what you need to get a residence permit vary somewhat from place to place and according to your status. You'll certainly need a valid passport, proof that you have a place to live and proof that you can support yourself.

If you decide that you are going to stay in Germany for a longer period you must have a registration certificate (Meldeschein). You get it at the Registry Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) that is responsible for your community or your city neighborhood. Registering is a simple matter of going there and filling out a form. They may want to see your passport and lease, so have them with you. There is no charge for this registration.

Do I need a work permit to do an internship in Germany?

If you’re doing an internship within the Study & Internship Program, you do not need a work permit, since you are part of an international exchange program.

How can I get accommodation in Germany?

Many Universities of Applied Sciences can arrange or offer help finding accommodation either in the university residences or in apartments off-campus. Prices differ from city to city, but you should expect an average of about € 200 for a room at a residence and about € 250 to € 300 for a room in a shared apartment. Please contact the International Office of the school you are planning to complete your program at and ask them about your choices of accommodation.

How much will my living expenses approximately be?

As with accommodation, living expenses differ from city to city and depend a lot on your living style. However, you should expect to need approximately the following amounts per month (for electricity, telephone, food, leisure activities, books, and other small expenditures, including rent):

Berlin: 750 to 850 Euros
Bremen: 700 to 800 Euros
Cologne: 800 to 900 Euros
Hamburg: 800 to 900 Euros
Munich: 850 to 950 Euros
Münster: 700 to 800 Euros
Osnabrück: 650 to 750 Euros

Will I have to pay anything but tuition fees to the university?

At most UAS7 campuses, exchange students have to pay a "Semesterbeitrag", which comprises administrative and student union fees, as well as the cost of your semester ticket (which usually allows you to travel on your city's public transport for free) and reduced cafeteria rates. It is paid once per semester. It differs from university to university:

Berlin: approx. 280 Euros
Bremen: approx. 260 Euros
Cologne: approx. 230 Euros
Hamburg: approx. 295 Euros
Munich: approx. 110 Euros
Münster: approx. 220 Euros
Osnabrück: none

Can I get the credits earned in Germany transferred to my home university? How?

Talk to your academic advisor about transferring the credits you will earn before coming to Germany. If there are any questions, the UAS7 office in New York will gladly contact them and provide all necessary information and documentation to enable them to decide if and how many credits they will recognize for specific courses.

Another option is to transfer credits from another US university. For further information on that, please contact the UAS7 office in New York.

Where can I get financial aid?

There is a broad range of scholarships and grants available to American and Canadian students who want to complete their full degree or part of their degree in Germany. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) alone provides financial support for more than 50,000 students, faculty, and researchers every year.

DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)

Alexander von Humboldt Foundation

The American Council on Germany (ACG)

Cultural vistas

Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)

German-American Fulbright Program

Check the websites for further information on specific programs and eligibility requirements.

Where can I find information about Germany in general?

There are many online resources providing information and practical tips on life in Germany.

top Back to top

Deutschlandjahr USA 2019


UAS7 is proud to participate in the
official Year of German American
Friendship with two projects.
Find out more

Follow UAS7 on Twitter and Facebook or join our LinkedIn Alumni Group for updates on study, research and scholarship opportunities in Germany, alumni updates and more!

linkedin twitter-bird-light-bgs

f logo

UAS7 - Liaison Office NY

871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017 | U.S.A.
T: +1.212.758.3369
F: +1.212.758.1629
Email UAS7 International Office NY